Writing and Imagination
- Grades 5-6
Residential and Commuter
- Language Arts
Writing is an act of imagination built from the raw materials of life and language. In this course, you’ll learn to approach writing as a craft and discover processes and techniques that writers in all genres use, from generating story ideas to deciding on voice and point of view. You and your classmates will read and discuss essays, short stories, and works of poetry with a focus on the author’s intentions and creative choices. Your instructor for this course will be an experienced writer who guides you and your classmates through the creative writing and revision process. During writing workshops, you’ll submit works to be reviewed by your instructor and peers, who will offer detailed feedback geared toward making your writing stronger. You will also read works by your classmates and offer feedback. Through this collaborative revision process, you’ll develop confidence in your own writing, editing and creative abilities.
Typical Class Size: 14-16
- Analyze and discuss essays, short stories, works of poetry, and other writing genres with an eye toward the process and techniques of effective writing
- Explore tools for generating ideas and incorporating literary elements into your writing
- Draft and develop 4-5 creative and analytic or reflective writing projects
- Collaborate in writing workshops, giving and receiving feedback, and incorporating feedback in revisions of at least two major assignments
Summer Dates & Locations
Testing and Prerequisites
|Required Level||Not required||CTY-Level|
Students must achieve qualifying scores on an advanced assessment to be eligible for CTY programs. If you don’t have qualifying scores, you have several different testing options. We’ll help you find the right option for your situation.Sign up for Testing Learn More
Cost and Financial Aid
- Nonrefundable Application Fee - $50 (Waived for financial aid applicants)
- Nonrefundable International Fee - $250 (outside US only)
Financial Aid is available
We are committed to serving all talented youth regardless of financial circumstances. Financial assistance is available based on need.
About Language Arts at CTY
Want to have fun reading popular stories and writing your own tales of adventure? Pen your hero’s journey and explore a diverse range of books in Behind the Mask: Superheroes Revealed, or have fun shaping your prose and experimenting with different formats and styles in Fiction and Poetry.
Find your voice
Take your writing to the next level! In Writing and Imagination, you can build your vocabulary and gain the tools to write your own creative fiction. You’ll learn to craft compelling narratives about your own experiences at the college level in Crafting the Essay, and have fun learning new literary devices and figurative language in Writing Your World.