Fundamentals of Computer Science
- Grades 7-11
- Advanced CTY-Level
- Computer Science and Technology
This course introduces students to three major areas of the computer science discipline: theory and algorithms, hardware systems, and software systems. In the theoretical component of the course, you and your classmates will learn about algorithms, Boolean algebra, binary mathematics, and theory of computation. While studying hardware systems, you’ll become familiar with the physical components of computers, digital logic, computer architecture, and computer networks. As you investigate software systems, you’ll learn the elements of programming languages, compilers, computer graphics, and operating systems. Then you will apply and illustrate some concepts you’ve learned through programming.
Typical Class Size: 18-20
- Elaborate on key hardware components and explain how software is mapped to the hardware
- Solve problems by developing algorithms and implementing them using one or more industry-used programming language
- Test and evaluate the computational complexity of algorithms
- Create, test, and debug computer programs using conditional and iterative structures, functional decomposition, and other techniques
- Apply data structure such as arrays and access methods like pointers to programing
- Compare and contrast object-oriented programming principles with non-graphic user interfaces to elucidate the coding structures
Summer Dates & Locations
Testing and Prerequisites
|Required Level||Advanced CTY-Level||Not required|
Students must achieve qualifying scores on an advanced assessment to be eligible for CTY programs. If you don’t have qualifying scores, you have several different testing options. We’ll help you find the right option for your situation.Sign up for Testing Learn More
Course PrerequisitesFundamentals of Computer Science requires:
Cost and Financial Aid
- Nonrefundable Application Fee - $50 (Waived for financial aid applicants)
- Nonrefundable International Fee - $250 (outside US only)
Financial Aid is available
We are committed to serving all talented youth regardless of financial circumstances. Financial assistance is available based on need.
Please acquire all course materials by the course start date, unless noted as perishable. Items marked as “perishable” should not be acquired until the student needs them in the course. If you have questions about these materials or difficulty locating them, please contact [email protected].
Course Extras (Lab fee info, etc): Lab fee: $145
About Computer Science and Technology at CTY
Build robots, conquer the world!
Introduction to Robotics is perfect for students who want to learn introductory-level programming and apply what they’ve learned through real-life engineering projects. You can even test your coding and design skills by having your robot complete obstacle courses and other challenges.
You’ve learned to code—now what?
Data Structures and Algorithms is for students who have some proficiency at programming and are looking to take their abilities to the next level. By diving deep into how computers organize and store data, you will learn to design and utilize algorithms with peak efficiency.