Behind the Mask: Superheroes Revealed
- Grades 2-3
- Language Arts
BAM! POW! ZAP! Everyone knows Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, and Captain America, but superheroes can come in many shapes and sizes. Must a superhero fight crime? Is Elsa from Frozen a superhero—and what about BB-8, Gru, or Moana? How do storytellers draft heart-stopping tales of suspense? Explore these questions and more on this heroic writing adventure. Like the professional writers at Disney, you’ll learn to craft creative stories using literary techniques like descriptive writing, symbolism, plot structure, and figurative language. After examining graphic novels and a variety of other sources in literature and popular media, invent your own vivid characters and unique settings. You’ll learn to think critically about your favorite characters, use storyboards, write opinion essays, and create your own unique and compelling tales of adventure. Then you’ll polish your stories during in-class workshops with input from your instructor and classmates. These storytelling, close-reading, and editing skills will come in handy during all of your future academic pursuits.
Typical Class Size: 12
- Examine the basic elements of a graphic novel, including panel, panel border, gutter, and balloon, and discuss their importance in the genre
- Analyze and interpret visual images, symbolism, plot, and figurative language in model texts
- Develop a superhero and make effective use of a narrator and/or dialogue to advance the plot
- Draft at least four writing projects, including, as a culminating project, a graphic novel
- Engage in the writing workshop process, editing and revising your work based on feedback
Summer Dates & Locations
Testing and Prerequisites
|Required Level||Not required||CTY-Level|
Students must achieve qualifying scores on an advanced assessment to be eligible for CTY programs. If you don’t have qualifying scores, you have several different testing options. We’ll help you find the right option for your situation.Sign up for Testing Learn More
Cost and Financial Aid
- Nonrefundable Application Fee - $50 (Waived for financial aid applicants)
- Nonrefundable International Fee - $250 (outside US only)
Financial Aid is available
We are committed to serving all talented youth regardless of financial circumstances. Financial assistance is available based on need.
Please acquire all course materials by the course start date, unless noted as perishable. Items marked as “perishable” should not be acquired until the student needs them in the course. If you have questions about these materials or difficulty locating them, please contact [email protected].
These titles have been featured in past sessions of the course, and may be included this summer. CTY provides students with all texts; no purchase is required.
- Herobear and the Kid Vol. 1: The Inheritance, by Mike Kunkel
- Ms. Marvel, by G. Willow Wilson
- Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity, by Dave Roman
- Nimona, by Noelle Stevenson
About Language Arts at CTY
Want to have fun reading popular stories and writing your own tales of adventure? Pen your hero’s journey and explore a diverse range of books in Behind the Mask: Superheroes Revealed, or have fun shaping your prose and experimenting with different formats and styles in Fiction and Poetry.
Find your voice
Take your writing to the next level! In Writing and Imagination, you can build your vocabulary and gain the tools to write your own creative fiction. You’ll learn to craft compelling narratives about your own experiences at the college level in Crafting the Essay, and have fun learning new literary devices and figurative language in Writing Your World.