Medical Information

Requesting Special Accommodations

If your child needs special accommodations for a physical, medical, mental health, or other disability, please contact CTY staff at 410-735-6215 or Forms to request accommodations or support are available at Disability Services.

Providing Medical Information about Your Child

After assignment to a course, students are required to submit a medical form, which must be printed and requires a physician's signature. We recommend that you schedule an appointment with your physician immediately upon receipt of your child's course assignment. If your child will take medication during the program, there are forms that you and your physician must complete and sign. See CTY's medical form and instructions included in the course assignment packet for a list of all required vaccinations.

Required Immunizations

These immunizations are required for students attending any CTY On-Campus Summer Programs site. 

Medical Services

The CTY administrative staff is responsible for overseeing the distribution of medication and providing first aid. Our health staff includes a nurse and, at some sites, one or more health assistants. At all sites, a nurse is on duty at least part-time; nurses screen medical complaints and, when needed, refer students to local physicians, clinics, or emergency rooms for treatment. When a nurse is not on duty, administrative staff members take students who need treatment directly to walk-in clinics or emergency rooms. When students are referred to local providers, a CTY staff member accompanies them, and parents are informed as soon as possible.

Medical Services at CTY Hong Kong

Students registered in the CTY summer program at HKU will be entitled to use the on-campus clinic during the opening hours (typically Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) for outpatient medical consultation. A fee of HK$200–300 will be charged per consultation (included in the consultation fee is 3 days of medication if needed). Registered health personnel are available at the on-campus clinic to screen student medical complaints and provide first aid; if needed, health staff would then refer students to local physicians or to a hospital near the university campus for emergency treatment. When students are referred to local providers for medical consultation and/or hospitalization, an HKU or CTY staff member accompanies them, and parents would be informed as soon as possible. All costs associated with medical care are the responsibility of the student's family.

Medications Policy

In compliance with local regulations, our staff oversees the distribution of medications as authorized by physicians’ and parents’ signatures on the appropriate medical form. Students are not permitted to keep medications of any kind in their possession, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Exceptions are made for some emergency-use medications, such as rescue inhalers and epinephrine auto-injectors.

Only properly labeled medications in original pharmacy containers will be accepted for distribution at CTY. CTY staff dispense medications only as indicated by the original pharmacy container or physician’s orders, and only when required information and signatures are provided on student medical forms. Students must turn in all medications to CTY staff on opening day. For the safety of all of our students, keeping medications in rooms or belongings is strictly forbidden and considered grounds for dismissal.

Important: All students on regular prescription medications should continue to take their medications during the program as prescribed by their physicians. Students should only bring essential medications.

CTY staff members do not give injections; students on injectables are expected to self-administer. If this is an issue, please contact your site’s program manager to explore other arrangements immediately upon receipt and review of your course assignment packet. Generally, it is not possible to arrange allergy shots.

Payment for Medical Services

The parent or guardian who signs the medical form is responsible for all costs incurred as a result of any medical services provided. Not all providers accept all insurance plans. Some providers require payment from families at the time of service. International students coming to the Hong Kong site should check with their insurers about special provisions for international travel to see if they will be covered. We do not carry medical insurance of any kind for students. Any costs incurred and not paid by the family at the time of service will be billed to the student’s CTY account. 

Medical insurance is not required to attend CTY.