In the following pages you will find a variety of courses. As you read through the descriptions, keep these questions in mind:
- Am I eligible to take this course?
- How does this course fit with or broaden my academic interests, and will I enjoy studying this subject intensively for three weeks?
- How will this course affect my school course work?
1. Am I eligible to take this course?
First, check the eligibility information. You may be eligible for Humanities and Writing courses, Math and Science courses, or both.
Second, make sure you have satisfied any prerequisites listed in the course description. Documentation (a copy of your report card, for example) must accompany your application.
2. How does this course fit with or broaden my academic interests, and will I enjoy studying this subject intensively for three weeks?
As you read through the course descriptions, no doubt some courses will immediately catch your interest. Others may be on subjects that are new to you. One of the benefits of CTY is the opportunity to discover new interests. If you would like to know more about a particular course you can:
- Review a sample syllabus from our online catalog. Online syllabi are located at the top of each course description. Please note that the sample syllabi are meant to provide an idea of the level of the course and whether or not the content area interests you. CTY instructors are given guidelines within which they each develop their own syllabi. Choice and sequencing of topics within the content area, as well as specific activities, labs, and assignments, will vary.
- Review the sample texts. As with the sample syllabi, the sample texts are meant to give you an idea of the level of the course and whether or not the material interests you. Texts vary by instructor and may change from year to year.
- If you have more detailed questions about a specific course, please call 410-735-6277 or email email@example.com and ask to speak to the summer programs staff member responsible for that course.
3. How will this course affect my school course work?
CTY Academic Explorations courses are enrichment courses; they are designed to offer you areas of study not usually available in middle or high school. They usually do not affect what courses you take at school. However, if you want to inquire about receiving school credit, show this catalog and the courses you are interested in to your principal or guidance counselor. Remember that only your school can make a decision about credit or placement.