Skip Navigation

We are unable to take calls at this time, though your questions are important to us. Please send them to for the quickest response. Thank you.

International Students in Summer Programs

Notice for Session 1 and Hong Kong Sites: In light of the rapidly evolving COVID-19 pandemic, CTY, in close coordination with Johns Hopkins University leadership, has made the difficult decision to cancel Session 1 of our 2020 Summer Programs, along with all courses at our Hong Kong sites. Please visit our online information center to learn more.

The information below is for international students traveling to the U.S., enrolled in CTY summer programs:

International Student Guides

Residential Sites (PDF)

Day Sites (PDF)

Visa Information

Students who are non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents and are not already in the U.S. with an immigration status that allows study must request a nonimmigrant student visa (F-1).

The initial step is to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for a student visa (Form I-20) from the JHU’s Office of International Services (OIS). Within 5 business days of receiving confirmation of course assignment in CTY’s Summer Programs, OIS will send an email with a link and instructions to complete a web form and provide the necessary documentation. Complete the OIS web form as soon as you receive the link.

CTY students attending the first session or both sessions must apply for the I-20 visa certificate at the earliest possible date, and no later than April 1. CTY students attending the second session only must apply no later than April 15. After these deadlines, OIS cannot guarantee that you will receive your immigration documentation in time to secure your visa before the program.

Contact the JHU Office of International Students if you have questions about visas.

Email or call 667-208-7001 only for visa or immigration related questions.

Resources about Visa for Summer Programs


Watch Orientation Videos for International Students