Skip Navigation

Earning Credit or Placement

Students requesting placement or credit from their school should always discuss their options with school officials before enrolling, as schools have varying policies. While CTY is an accredited institution, CTY does not award degrees or diplomas. Credit or placement can only be awarded by the student's school. In some cases, schools may require additional documentation about CTY and the course content, or the student may be asked to take the school’s final exam.

CTY issues course completion documents to each student who successfully completes a course. Although credit or placement can only be awarded by the student’s school, CTY provides suggested guidelines. Visit the course pages via the Online Programs Catalog to view credit recommendations and detailed course information.

Follow these steps when seeking placement and credit for any CTY course:

1: Review the CTY course catalog and select a course.
2: Before completing enrollment, discuss placement and credit options with your school officials. Determine if you need to take a course approved by NCAA or another course approver (such as UC A-G). See below for more information.
3: Obtain school approval for your course selection.
4: Enroll in the course.

Course Completion Documents and Official Academic Record

At the end of every successfully completed course, the student will receive course completion documents from Online Programs. These include a summary of the student's grades, if applicable, as well as an instructor evaluation and certificate of completion. Parents may also request a CTY Official Academic Record that will show all of the student's participation in CTY academic courses, as well as other activities with CTY. 

College Board "AP" Designation

All Online Programs Advanced Placement courses have been reviewed and approved by the College Board to use the "AP" designation. To view a list of CTY courses that were reviewed by the Advanced Placement Program Audit and are authorized to include the "AP" designation, visit the AP Course Ledger and type in "Center for Talented Youth at Johns Hopkins University" as the high school name.

If a student wishes to take an AP-level Online Programs course prior to 9th grade and receive school credit, the student must obtain approval from their school prior to enrolling in the course. If the student’s school approves the student to take a CTY AP course for school credit, please note that the student may not use AP courses taken prior to 9th grade for college credit. Only AP courses taken in 9th grade and beyond will be eligible for college advanced placement credit by the enrolling institution. With the exception of World Language course, the AP label cannot be affixed to courses and school transcripts prior to ninth grade.


The Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth is accredited for grades K through 12 by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

National Collegiate Athletic Association Approved Courses

Online Programs courses for 9th to 12th graders may be used in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) initial eligibility certification process. To view the list of approved courses, visit the NCAA website and enter CTY's high school code 975334, then select "Show All Approved Courses."

University of California A-G Approved Courses

Due to recent changes in the UC A-G approval process, organizations such as CTY are no longer permitted to add their courses to any of UC A-G’s formal approval lists. Neither CTY’s rigorous standards or courses have changed and continue to provide a learning avenue for many advanced students depending on their higher education plans. Please consult with your school and/or college counselor as you consider how CTY courses will fit into your overall educational objectives.