Skip Navigation

Questions about Financial Aid

Financial Aid Policies and Procedures

  • Aid is awarded for one course per program per academic year for Summer Programs, Online Programs, or Family Academic Programs. Academic years start July 1st.
  • Receiving aid for any one program does not affect financial aid eligibility for other CTY Programs.
  • Financial aid is only awarded to families not owing tuition or fees for a previous program.
  • Student must be a U.S. citizen or eligible permanent resident in order to be considered for Financial Aid.
  • Students will not be assigned to a course until their financial aid application has been evaluated.
  • CTY's Financial Aid Office will notify parents of financial aid decisions following receipt of the completed application and required documentation.
  • Families that submit a deposit at the time of application will be eligible to receive the appropriate reimbursement of tuition and/or application fee (if applicable) once the financial aid review is completed and CTY receives notification of the student’s intent to attend or not to attend courses/events.  
  • If a student receives a partial financial aid award, any remaining balance will be invoiced by the Student Accounts Office and payment will be due in full within 25 days.
  • Families that receive financial aid and do not inform CTY of cancellations at least 30 days before the start of courses will receive a reduced financial aid award for the next application (if applicable). Summer Programs only.
  • Financial aid for an individually paced course is given for the typical course length as listed within the course catalogOnline Programs only.
  • Financial aid will be granted for the student and up to two adults for a one-day program or overnight program. Family Academic Programs only.

Questions concerning financial aid should be addressed to the CTY Financial Aid Office: 800-393-6095, option #2 or

Back to top


Q: What documentation do I need to complete my CTY Financial Aid application?

A: The following documentation is required to complete your CTY Financial Aid application. Please black out or delete Social Security Numbers prior to submission.

If you have already filed 2017 tax returns, please submit the following:

  • 2017 Tax Returns
    • Schedules A, C, D, E, and/or F
    • Form 4562 (if applicable)
  • 2017 W-2/1099
  • 2017 Form 482 (Puerto Rican Residents)
  • 2017 Documentation of Nontaxable Income*

If you have NOT yet filed 2017 tax returns, please submit the following:

  • 2016 Tax Returns
    • Schedules A, C, D, E, and/or F
    • Form 4562 (if applicable)
  • 2016 W-2/1099
  • 2016 Form 482 (Puerto Rican Residents)
  • 2016 Documentation of Nontaxable Income*
  • Explanation/documentation of any significant income changes (if applicable)**

*Examples of Nontaxable Income includes: Social Security income, unemployment compensation, child support, etc.
**Examples of significant income changes includes: unemployment, exemptions, deductions, other income, foreclosure, etc.).

Back to top

Q: What if I do not have a copy of my tax returns and/or W-2(s)?

A: If you do not have a copy of your tax return, you may request a copy of your Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. If you do not have a copy of your W-2(s), you may request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS.

Back to top

Q: Do I have to pay a deposit if I am applying for financial aid?

A: If applying for financial aid, the online financial aid application may automatically reduce or waive the tuition deposit you owe based on income information provided. The amount due will show in “tuition deposit” at the end of the application. Review the reduced deposit fees chart (PDF). If you still have questions or concerns, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 800-393-6095, option #2 or  

  • Applicants completing paper forms should contact the Financial Aid Office 800-393-6095, option #2 or before submitting their application to discuss a reduced deposit.
  • A student’s course assignment may be delayed if CTY determines the income was reported incorrectly and an additional payment needs to be made towards the deposit.

Back to top

Q: When will we be notified of a financial aid status and/or decision?

A: Please allow up to two weeks for notification for Online and Family Academic Programs and up to 30 days for notification for Summer Programs.

Back to top

Q: Are non-U.S. citizens eligible for financial aid?

A: Students must be citizens of the U.S. or eligible permanent residents to be considered for financial aid. Also, parents must be able to document income. International students do not qualify for financial aid.

Back to top

Q: What is the financial aid application deadline?

  • Submit online by March 28, 2018. Summer Programs only.
  • Submit at least two weeks prior to the start of the course. Online Programs only.
  • Submit at least two weeks prior to the start of the event. Family Academic Programs only.
  • Late applications may be considered for financial aid, if funding and seats are available.

Back to top

Q: Do you consider my child's scores/grades for financial aid eligibility?

A: The financial aid for which you are applying is "need-based." You submit an application with income information so we can determine your financial need. We also look at things like family size, geographic location and any documented special circumstances (i.e. job loss, change in family status, etc). There are merit-based scholarship programs like the CTY Scholars that will take your child’s scores/grades into consideration.

Learn more about merit-based scholarship programs.

Back to top

Q: Am I guaranteed financial aid if I've received aid from CTY in the past?

A: No, you are not guaranteed financial aid if you have received aid from CTY in the past. A previous award does not guarantee an award for the present year. Families must apply for financial aid each year, as eligibility is based on current financial status and available CTY resources.

Review the requirements for financial aid.

Back to top

Q: Can my child participate in more than one course/event?

A: Yes, but financial aid may be awarded for one course per program per academic year for Summer Programs, Online Programs, or Family Academic Programs. Academic years start July 1st. For example, if your child attends Summer Session 1, your child cannot receive financial aid for Summer Session 2. However, he/she could be eligible to receive aid for an Online Program and Family Academic Program for the same academic year. In the following academic year, your child may apply and be considered again for financial aid for Summer Programs, Online Programs and Family Academic Programs. 

Back to top

Q: What if the financial aid you award to us is not enough?

A: If your financial aid is not enough, we will consider appeals for more financial aid if there has been a change since you submitted the original financial aid application (e.g. job loss, income loss, change of family status, etc). Please note that your financial aid eligibility is based on the information submitted with the financial aid application. For this reason, it is important to include anything that you feel will help the Financial Aid Committee determine your current financial need. If you would like to submit an appeal for your award amount, please email your request and documentation to support the aforementioned circumstances to

If your financial circumstance has not changed since you submitted your application, please note payment plans are available by contacting Student Accounts: 800-393-6095, option #1.

Back to top

Q: How do we complete the application if parents are divorced or separated?

A: If parents are divorced or separated, you will need to provide information for the custodial parent only. The custodial parent is defined as the parent with whom the student has lived the majority of the past 12 months. If that cannot be determined, or if there is a 50/50 split, then determine which parent has provided the most support in the past 12 months (i.e. financial, food, clothing, shelter, etc). If the custodial parent has remarried, the step-parent's information must also be provided.

Back to top

Q: If I submitted a Financial Aid application for a program this academic year, am I responsible for submitting another Financial Aid application when applying to an additional program?

A: Yes, each CTY Program has its own application process. You must submit the appropriate CTY Program application along with the Financial Aid application and required tuition deposit.

Back to top