CTY Talent Search participants who live a prohibitive distance from a Prometric Testing Center (75 miles for students who live in the United States, 100 kilometers for students who reside overseas) may request a paper-based administration of the SCAT from the Diagnostic and Counseling Center.
Steps for taking the paper SCAT:
- All students must complete this step first: Enroll in the CTY Talent Search.
Make a note of your CTY Identification Number.
- After your Talent Search application is complete, please:
- Identify a proctor who will administer the SCAT to your child. The proctor should be an educational professional such as an administrator, teacher or counselor at your child's school. The proctor cannot be a family member or family friend. If the student is currently homeschooled or under other alternative schooling situation, please contact the Diagnostic and Counseling Center at 410-735-6233 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your case.
- Complete and sign the Proctor Information Form online.
- Ask the proctor to complete the Test and Security Proctor Agreement online. S/he will need your child’s CTY ID number to complete the form.
- Obtain a Verification Letter from the school administrator (principal or vice-principal). The letter must state that the proctor of your choosing currently works at the child's school. This letter must be written on school letter head and requires the administrator's signature. (Sample letter)
- Upload a copy of the Verification Letter from the school via your MyCTY account, select Attachment Type “DCC Document” (MyCTY credentials and access emailed after enrolling in CTY’s Talent Search).
- Once we have received the SCAT Paper Testing Agreement, the Verification Letter, a completed Proctor Information Form and the Test and Security Proctor Agreement, log into your MyCTY account to submit your payment.
- Fee for students living in the U.S. is $60 USD.
- Fee for students living outside the U.S. is $50 USD for shipping and handling plus the corresponding SCAT Fee varies outside the U.S. according to this Fee Schedule.
- Once we receive your payment, we will send the test materials to the proctor.
- After the SCAT administration is complete, the proctor will mail the SCAT booklet, answer sheet, and instructions to CTY. CTY's Talent Search Department will mail an official score report to the family in three weeks.
What does the SCAT measure?
The SCAT measures verbal and quantitative reasoning ability. There are two 20-minute sections, with 50 questions in each section. A student gets a different form of the SCAT (Elementary, Intermediate, or Advanced) depending on his/her grade level. To download sample questions for the SCAT, please see below:
When is the deadline for testing?
There is no application deadline for testing. However, please keep in mind that the testing process typically takes one month from start to finish. If parents are interested in applying for CTY’s summer programs at the earliest possible time, review the summer programs registration deadlines.
For parents who are interested in CTY’s distance learning programs, testing can be completed at any time. Please refer to specific online courses for application deadlines and arrange testing accordingly.