CTY Talent Search participants who live a prohibitive distance from a Prometric Testing Center (75 miles for students who live in the United States, 100 kilometers for students who reside overseas) may request a paper-based administration of the SCAT from the Diagnostic and Counseling Center.
Steps for taking the paper SCAT:
- Enroll in the CTY Talent Search. All students must complete this step first.
- After your Talent Search application is complete, please download the SCAT Paper Testing Materials:
- Identify a proctor who will administer the SCAT to your child. The proctor should be an educational professional such as a teacher, counselor, etc. at your child's school. The proctor cannot be a family member or family friend.
- You and the proctor will complete and sign the relevant sections of the SCAT Paper Testing Agreement.
- Obtain a Verification Letter from the school administrator (principal or vice-principal). The letter must state that the proctor of your choosing currently works at the child's school. This letter MUST be written on school letter head and requires the administrator's signature.
- Please send the forms by mail or courier service. No photocopies will be accepted. The address is listed on the agreement form.
- Once we have received the SCAT Paper Testing Agreement, the Verification Letter, and payment, we will send the test materials to the proctor.
- After the SCAT administration is complete, the proctor will mail the SCAT booklet and answer sheet to CTY. CTY's Talent Search Department will mail an official score report to the family three weeks.
What does the SCAT measure?
The SCAT measures verbal and quantitative reasoning ability. There are two 20-minute sections, with 50 questions in each section. A student gets a different form of the SCAT (Elementary, Intermediate, or Advanced) depending on his/her grade level. To download sample questions for the SCAT, please see below:
When is the deadline for testing?
There is no application deadline for testing. However, please keep in mind that the testing process typically takes one month from start to finish. If parents are interested in applying for CTY’s summer programs at the earliest possible time, we ask that all application materials be received by December 1st.
For parents who are interested in CTY’s distance learning programs, testing can be completed at any time. Please refer to specific online courses for application deadlines and arrange testing accordingly.